You can use this checklist of the most common reasons why a laptop battery will not recharge
1. Laptop Battery is not getting enough electricity from the AC Adapter to recharge the battery
a. Defective AC power cord
i. Short in the wire from AC Adapter
ii. Defect in voltage regulator box component of AC Adapter
d. Underpowered Volts & Amps – common with Universal Adapters
e. Extended Run batteries require more power to recharge the battery
f. Defective power socket on laptop chassis
i. This is the most common repair for laptops
2. Battery was not rebooted when new battery was installed.
a. Closing the Lid or using the on/off switch may be programmed to hibernate not shut down.
b. Windows shut down command is the sure shut down method.
3. Battery was allowed to run to zero. An empty battery may not have enough power to send the recharge signal to the laptop. This can effectively kill the battery.
4. Battery was not plugged in overnight to fully charge it.
5. Laptop was upgraded to a new version of Windows, especially Windows 7. Changing the operating system on your laptop may result in the battery not being able to send a recharge signal from the battery to the laptop.
6. Battery management software is incorrectly calibrated.
a. The battery really is charged, but the software reading is incorrect
b. Most common with extended run batteries
c. How long did it run when unplugged from electrical cord?
d. Recalibration of the laptop’s battery meter software is the solution. See our instructions on how to recalibrate the battery software on your laptop.7. Battery is defective. All laptop batteries from Laptop Battery Express carry a full 1 year warranty.
8. Recharging circuit on motherboard is defective. This requires the replacement of the motherboard. This repair can cost up to $500.